Tuesday, October 1, 2013

vocab. #7

Cursory- hasty and therefore not thorough or detailed.
              I feel some CURSORY when I try writing a essay
Impetus- the force or energy with which a body moves.
               There is a large IMPETUS when I push someone
pinnacle- A high, pointed piece of rock
                soon I will be at the pinnacle of my life
Contumely-insolent or insulting language or treatment
                  Sometimes I CONTUMELY when I mess up
Bereavement- be deprived of a love through a profound absence
                       I feel like I'm BEREAVEMENT when I go out of town
Cache- a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place
            I have a large CACHE of Gatorade in my room
Consummation- the point at which something is complete or finalized
                           there is a CONSUMMATION on my grades at the end of the semester
Calamity- an event causing great and often sudden damage or distress
                 there is a CALAMITY in Iraq
Avarice- extreme greed for wealth or material gain
               I have a AVARICE for money like most people in the world
Fortify- strengthen (a place) with defensive works so as to protect it against attack
             we have a FORTIFY in the  pentagon
Erratic- not even or regular in pattern or movement
             Dub step has an ERRATIC beat to it
ubiquitous- present, appearing, or found everywhere
                   there is a UBIQUITOUS of GTA posters
Fortitude-courage in pain or adversity
                there is a FORTITUDE when something you love breaks
nonchalant- feeling or appearing casually calm and relaxing
                    when I play video games I fell nonchalant
Affect- have an effect on
            I have an AFFECT on people when I first meet them
Effect- a change that is a result or consequence of an action or other cause
           when someone slaps me there is an EFFECT and I slap them back
Misappropriate- dishonestly or unfairly take (something ,esp. money, belonging to another) foe one's own use
                         it is MISAPPROPRIATE when bully's take money from littler kids
Pragmatic- dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather
                  cops are really PRAGMATIC when entering a rough situation
Metacognition- awareness and understanding of one's own thought processes
                         Doctors are really METACOGNITION
Devout- having or showing deep religious feeling or commitment
              I am really DEVOUT for Jesus.        

No comments:

Post a Comment